Saturday, October 18, 2008

From The Horse's Mouth: Thrusday, Oct. 17

As my canvassing days wear on I am discovering some new lingo. We have coined a new verb "canvassed", or "to canvas something". This verb is used to describe things you receive from people you speak to at the door. So far I have "canvassed" a bottle of water, a baby flashlight, and a can of Pepsi. However, last nights canvassed prize was top of the line. Upon engaging a lovely couple from India in the typical political conversation I found it difficult to extract any straight answers. They avoided my questions by critiquing the American two party voting system, argued that their voting preference was private, and then they flat out admitted that they highly doubted this election would ever even take place. I assumed they were referring to the debacles of the past two elections, and assured them that would not happen again. It soon became clear that they were actually referring to some sort of governmental apocalyptic meltdown. The details of this impending disaster were not clear, but I'm sure I could figure it out if I read the book I canvassed from them titled 'The Ten Commandments - Twice Removed'.

No comments:

Post a Comment